Skip to main content

thoughts on burial

Hello faithful reader!

I was recently reading the bible and ruminating on Genesis.

In Genesis 22, you have Abraham offering Isaac for a sacrifice. At the end of the chapter, a concubine is mentioned: Reumah. The first few times I read this, I thought this was Abraham's concubine; it felt like a bit of a betrayal of Sarah. This seemed further compounded by the fact the next time she's mentioned is her burial. I will have to confirm - but the internet seems to think this was not Abraham's concubine.

Perhaps this was God's will - having two children from whom would come many nations was enough.

However, the main item I wanted to mention was Sarah's gravesite.

Abraham ultimately bought a small cave, and a field, for about $100,000 (400 shekels) [link]. I find this interesting for several reasons.

The first - that Abraham pays for a burial site. I'm not sure if this was because he didn't want his wife buried on his own land or that perhaps his culture preferred the revered/respected dead to be buried in a cave. Either way - Abraham is ensuring that, even if his primary land is destroyed/removed, he still has a spot for his wife and, eventually, for himself.

The second - that it was a cave. Other than the cave in which Jesus was buried, and this one, most of the experience I have with consideration for dead bodies is they go in boxes underground. This is a time before modern equipment, so perhaps the justification is that it is simpler to place the body in its casket and then place it on the ground. Far enough away that its smell will not be offensive (though perhaps they had technologies or oils or something to address this) and convenient enough that, to see your dead loved one, you wouldn't have to dig them up.

The third - that Abraham actually paid for the land. As I recall, Abraham was "given" the land by God a few chapters earlier - in Genesis 15 [link]. This is a great example of how we're supposed to respond to promises (land) that God intends for us to have.

 

-: irony :-

I have been intending to come back to this blog - but it's been almost two weeks since its inception.

It is so very easy to not capture my journey; this may be why so many blogs I saw had so few posts.

So, faithful reader - let me attend to this in such a way as to be a blessing to you.

Sans filler, as it were.


-: pondering :-

The essence of the need for education, as well as the study of physics, speak to the implicitly self-evident notion that making good decisions is not innate.

We often don't act in our own long-term best interest - and sometimes not even in the short term.

Physics, too, teaches us that our memories and experiences do not inform how the broader world or the universe work - which is why it is so many years between revolutionary revelations.

How then do we train ourselves to recognize these for ourselves and our loved ones via process instead of the one-off approach that seems standard?


-: idea :-

I think modern-day houses should come with several technologies: something that traps rainwater; something that can professionally locally filter water within a house; and the knitting of the two so that both rainwater and wastewater (urine, for instance) can be re-added to the water system of the house. A house with these amenities would reduce the load on the local city water, would potentially make it cheaper to own one's own home, and provide some degree of protection from problems that may occur when emergencies cause an interruption in municipal water. Imagine if everyone in a city had this setup and a hurricane hit - perhaps the store shelves selling water would not be empty!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

thoughts on distraction

Hello faithful reader! I like to-do lists. They add order to the world and help me prioritize my time. They also gird me against being distracted. This is important because I am exceptionally able to be distracted. And I think most of us are. Given a simple situation, most of us can tell you what action we should take. However, with a little duress, a little distraction - and any one of us can be nudged in a direction we'd never normally take. The simplest, though, is simply distraction. Maybe it's letting urgent things supersede important things. Maybe it's just one more level or quest on your game before you start. Maybe it's finishing the chapter in your book before you finish your homework. Biblically, Esau [ Genesis 25 ] got distracted and traded away his birthright. The execution of this was a few chapters later - which is also how distraction works. You don't normally notice when it's happening. -: anxious :- I find it hard to focus on important things -

thoughts on college

Hello faithful reader! I wanted a centralized location for my musings. The hardest challenge was naming! So many abandoned blogs with cool names. Reminds me of a frequently stolen (mis)quote: There are only two hard things in Computer Science: naming things. [ attribution ] -: school :- I started taking classes again today. I'm a functioning adult, pay bills, have a family. And on some level it's like I'm in high-school again. Being on this side of it - it's actually a pleasant awkwardness -: pondering :- I watched a YouTube video on creativity - John Cleese on Creativity [ link ]. My favorite part was the reminder to leave space to be creative. Whether writing a novel, or solving a difficult problem, we need to give ourselves time. In our modern instant-feedback society, it is a good reminder to trust the process. -: idea :- Given the notion of probabilistic circuitry, I wonder if it would be possible to use machine learning to design or build a circuit that could dra

thoughts on forgs

Hello faithful reader! I'm building a card game and one of the cards is that of a frog. I was struck by how easy it is to be in the territory of the unknown when we repeat words. Say a word 1000 times - and somewhere in the middle, it can feel weird on one's tongue. It even has a label:  Semantic satiation . On a related note, you can change its spelling - and potentially be newly inspired! -: frustration :- I hereby share the reality that, the day after I posted about giving space for creativity: I didn't. And I was beset with no inspiration. An excellent, gentle reminder that many, many lessons, once learned, need to be refreshed. Giving yourself the space to fail, and not quit, is priceless. -: pondering :- One of the things I'm fascinated by is our inability to genuinely see and know reality. We certainly have sensory experiences and memories. But to know what IS real we almost always need at least one other person: One person to corroborate/confirm the gathered dat